These little guys are cute. They also think Brittney smells good, or something. For some reason, they like to hang out near our pool. Our kids love to go swimming - especially Brittney. This combination hasn't been good for our eldest daughter. She got stung on her left wrist over the summer and it swelled up pretty badly. I called the dr's office and the nurse indicated that I didn't need to worry about it unless she was running a fever, it was hot to the touch, or she had trouble breathing. Just do Benedryl and ice packs. So, I followed the advice and after about 3 or 4 days her hand was back to normal.
Well, last Tuesday (Sept 23rd) Brittney went swimming again, and got stung on the forehead. This is what she looked like the next day (after 2 doses of Benedryl, mind you):
Not pretty, huh? Needless to say, we went to the doctor and she prescribed a steroid to take the swelling down faster (It still took about 3 days) and we have now entered the "epi pen club". She didn't have any trouble breathing, but I guess that allergic reactions to bee stings get progressively worse each time it happens. So, the next time it could be really bad (not looking forward to that).
Anyhow, through all of this, Brittney never missed a full day of school. When she woke up Wednesday morning all swollen, I gave her the choice (I wouldn't have gone myself). She insisted that she wanted to go. I let her know that all she had to do was give me a call and I'd come get her if she needed me to (I had given her Benedryl Tuesday night and Wednesday morning - I knew she'd be getting really sleepy). She called about 3 hours into the school day and she came home and slept for 3 1/2 hours before I took her to the dr. I found out later that she insisted on going to school because it was someone's birthday and she didn't want to miss the treats that he was bringing! Behold, the power of a doughnut!




2 comments:
OH. MY. GOODNESS. That is just about the saddest picture I have ever seen. Poor Brittney. We joined the epi pen club when we found out Brandon was allergic to peanuts. It is a very elite and prestigous club, welcome!!
Holy Cow Julie! That is not a pretty. Hope she is doing better. Michelle
Post a Comment