Sunday, March 7, 2010

Testimony Meeting

Today was Fast and Testimony meeting at church - which also happens to be my week to play organ. The bishopric thought they'd help me and Art out this way, by letting me have the week that is guaranteed to not have a congregational hymn - so I can actually sit with the family and give Art a little help with our 6 kiddos.

Anyhow, this week I took the opportunity to bear my testimony before I went to go sit down with my 4 kids who were still in the chapel (Art was in the foyer with the 2 little boys who were being too loud for sacrament meeting). Anyhow, I thought I'd share with you what I talked about today.

Essentially, I bore my testimony about our puppy.


Now, it's not as silly as it sounds (I just wanted to make it sound silly) The truth of the matter is, I believe that Buster is an unexpected answer to about 3 years worth of prayers. See, 3 years ago I had an unpleasant incident with a woman who lives in our neighborhood. I didn't know this woman, but her actions caused some problems for me. I tried to tell myself that her actions were well intended, and that if she knew me she wouldn't have done what she did. For the past 3 years I have prayed to be able to forgive this woman and be at peace with it.

Well, this woman still lives in our neighborhood and she has a dog. Of course, when you're out walking a dog, you tend to stop and exchange pleasantries with fellow dog walkers as the dogs meet and greet. Exactly a week ago, I took Buster for a walk after church and what do you know, just across the street there's this woman with her dog. Before I'm even across the street she says "This must be the new puppy in the neighborhood!" So, of course I stopped and we chatted a bit and the dogs got to know each other a bit. Then I went on my way. Throughout the week I ran into this woman a few more times and each time stopped to chat. The last time I saw her I was actually on my way to go pick up the boys from school - I didn't have Buster with me - and I went up to her to chat and thank her for some advice she gave me for Buster.

So, I have a testimony of my dog. I believe that my sweet little puppy was an answer to 3 years of prayers. Because of him, I have been able to establish a pleasant relationship with a woman who I had struggled to completely forgive. Yes, the Lord knows our needs, He hears our prayers, and the Lord indeed works in mysterious ways!

No comments: